Monday, October 19, 2009

Cole's Pond - Enfield, NH

The shoulder has healed from my fall in July. I found it hard to type with a broken shoulder but I got some serious amount of hiking in this summer. Lots of AT and lots of new sites to see. Got rained on, sunburn, soaked of sweat and been put in awe from the trails I visited. I'll tell you about them in my next blog. New Hamphire is truly unbelievable.

Today, I headed out before breakfast for a morning hike at Cole's Pond. I was so excited because I'd never been there without snow on the ground. I would be seeing it in a totally different light, including foliage time.

To get there, take Exit 17 off I-89 (from either direction). Head towards Canaan/Enfield on Rt. 4. After about a mile Rt 4A will be on your right, head through Enfield Village and take a right on Bog Road. Cole's Pond will be on your right in about a mile. Park right on the side of the road near the trail head sign. It starts with a foot bridge going over a small stream.

The trail is very easy, some short climbs, but nothing too hard. It is a great "One Arm Hike". About thirty minutes of slow to moderate speed of hike will get you there. At Cole's Pond, there's some fishing boats (left by seasonal fly-fishermen) and a path that leads around it. It's a great view and it was gorgeous up there with the fall colors. I've seen moose tracks there in the winter so I know they're around.

The last time I was at Cole's Pond, in February, we hiked up the hill on the left of the pond and found a fort. If you aren't good with your sense of direction - please don't try to find it. Getting lost in the woods without a path to follow isn't fun. I have no idea why or what the fort is for. I hope if you find it, no one is there. Please be careful and don't go alone.

On the way back down retrace the same trail that brought you up to the pond. It's a great walk for everyone to enjoy all year long. If you want to fish there, only fly fishing is available and they stock the pond for anglers. It's bound to have some good size fish.

The hike was almost as good as a perfect cup of coffee. It was refreshing to get out there before noon and the light was awesome for taking foliage pictures. Morning light is always amazing. If you've been on this hike chime in and tell us about your adventure. Comments are always welcome and encouraged for new ideas for readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment