Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bicknell Brook Trail/Enfield, NH - One Arm Hike #2

The Bicknell Brook Trail in Enfield was a new trail for me to hike today. I've gone by it on my way to Grafton Pond with my kayak and I always wanted to explore it. I took a look at the trails and map about a week ago and it seems to be a straight forward hike through the woods.

It's easy to get to; it's off of Grafton Pond Road via Route 4 in Enfield, NH. It's a little more than 1/2 mile down the road on the left, marked "Colette Trail/Bicknell Brook Trail". At the trailhead parking lot there a wooden map with the run of the land and it show the brooks that you'll hike along and it shows the 2 mile loop that you'll be following in red.

Heading into the wood you head down a little decline to a fork in the trail. I followed the Colette/Bricknell Brook Trail to the right. There were some muddy spots at first but it leveled out and turns into a really nice narrow wooden trail surrounded by pine trees. You'll be able to hear the brook ahead. Once your upon the brook you'll walk along the bank for a good part of the hike before you loop back around to head back to the parking lot.

Once you hit the trail junction of the Colette Trail heading towards Crystal Lake take the remainer of the trail to your right and head back towards the Grafton Pond Road parking lot. I noticed there are number markers in decending order along the trail. I'm not sure if they mark things on the trail of just act as just markers for the trail. The way I explained they acted like a countdown to where the trails would join up. When they join up again, head back up the hill to the parking lot.

I thought this is a great place to go for a picnic or maybe swimming in the brook. I followed the Colette Trail a bit to a bridge and a lookout among the marsh at the brook's junction. I didn't have a map of this trail and not knowing how long it was or the area it went through I didn't continue down it.

If you get a chance to try this trail let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment